Fox and Associates, Inc. - "Working with our clients, not simply for them"
Non U.S. Residents:

Theresa Fox, E.A. has established herself as the "Go-To Girl" when it comes to helping international taxpayers. Fox and Associates, Inc. is an International Tax Practice with dozens of clients from around the world. Non-resident taxpayer services include:
  • Establish an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) for individuals from both US Treaty and Non-Treaty countries
  • Filing 1040NR tax returns with limited "books" (backup documentation)
  • IRS Representation / Power of Attorney

With an international tax practice we can help any individual with their US Tax Return needs.
We can lead you through the process of the U.S. Tax System for any and all of your tax needs. Having a company with an established reputation of success ensures clients are guided through the process with confidence.

Here are some frequently asked questions in regards to Non U.S. Residents.*
1) I'm a non U.S. Citizen who cashed in a US Event. 30% Federal Withholding was taken out of my winnings and a 1042s was issued. How can I get my money back?
Individuals from certain countries may have taxes taken out by the US based casino AUTOMATICALLY. The casino is obligated to withhold up to 30%. In many cases, SOME of these winnings can be recouped.
If the individual is a “Professional Gambler”, a 1040NR (non-resident tax return) can be submitted. This return will offset expenses and other gambling losses from the same calendar year played in the U.S. Unfortunately, a person may not receive a full refund of all the withholdings. With an experienced tax preparer, they may be able to recoup a portion that was withheld. Individuals must apply for a TIN# (taxpayer identification number) with IRS before a return can be submitted. Oftentimes, the casino withholding will help facilitate this upon request.
2) Do I have to pay taxes to the US on my gambling winnings?
This is a tricky answer!  The US has current tax treaties with numerous countries which may reduce the amount of tax withheld on your gambling winnings.  US gambling winnings earned by residents of the following countries is not taxable in the USA: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Russia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom.  Individuals who are residents of other countries are typically subject up to a 30% tax withholding by the casino.
3) What is an ITIN and how do I get one?
An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a nine-digit number that is issued by the IRS to individuals for federal tax purposes only to those who are not eligible for a social security number.  During 2012 the rules and regulations for the Form W-7 were revised causing additional delays in the application process. VERY SPECIFIC PAPERWORK is required to prove your identity especially if you are submitting the application via mail (most
In the past the casinos were helpful in this process but that is not necessarily the case any longer due to all the new IRS changes.  If you anticipate needing an ITIN, we recommend taking the necessary steps BEFORE your travels to the United States so you can BRING the required documentation with you.  Click here for Form W-7 Instructions. If and when a tax return is needed, we can help you apply for your ITIN if you have the correct documentation.
*The above resources is limited information only and is not meant as tax advice. Each individual's financial situation is unique, please contact your tax advisor. 
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint